Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This weeks Top Ten Tuesday is 2021 Releases I Was Excited to Read But Didn’t Get To. However, as I don’t read many current books, I’m going to change it slightly to books I didn’t get to last year. I had aimed to read 45 books last year but I only got through 37 so there were a few I missed.
- Emma – Jane Austen. I faced down Middlemarch and Far From the Madding Crowd last year and I just couldn’t face another classic.
- The Thief of Time – John Boyne. Not sure why I didn’t read this one. I’ve enjoyed the other novels by Boyle I’ve read.
- The Long Call – Anne Cleeves. I watched this on the TV and it was okay but not great so I put off reading it.
- David Copperfield – Charles Dickens. Another classic I couldn’t face.
- Girl, Woman Other – Bernadine Evaristo. I read The Testaments last year and had intentions of reading this as it was joint booker winner with the Atwood.
- Just Like You – Nick Hornby. This was a new release but I’m not sure why I bought it as I seem to like Hornby less with each book.
- The Institute – Stephen King. I must admit the length of this is putting me off. I’m sure that once I pick it up, I’ll get through it quite quickly but it’s just making myself pick it up.
- Live by Night – Dennis Lehane. This has been on my TBR for far too long. I’m not sure why I haven’t got round to it yet because I enjoyed the other books I have read by him.
- Pies and Prejudice – Stuart Maconie. I didn’t read much non fiction last year and this is one that I intended to read but didn’t get to.
- Wolf Hall – Hilary Mantel. I put this on last year’s reading list because a lot of people have recommended it but I’m not sure I actually fancy it.
4 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday – Books I didn’t get to”
Even though I don’t mind a chunkster, as long as it moves along at a fair pace, I admit the length of books can be off-putting. I especially avoid long ones at the end of the year when I’m trying to make sure I reach my reading goals. I hope you enjoy all these if – and when – you get to them.
Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!
Love the sound of Pies and Prejudice, especially as I love Pride & Prejudice. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/2022-resolutions-and-goals/
Emma is one of my favorites by Jane Austen. I can see why you put it off though having read other classics this past year. I enjoy the classics, but I need other books in between. I have a copy of Wolf Hall on my shelf but haven’t read it. I keep putting it off. I hope you enjoy your reading this year!
I had Emma on my list last year and never got to it. I’m hoping to this year!
My Top Ten