Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s top ten is favourite literary quotes. No particular theme to these – just my favourite quotes.
- “Better never means better for everyone… It always means worse, for some.” The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood.
- “The greatest patriotism is to tell your country when it is behaving dishonorably, foolishly, viciously.” Flaubert’s Parrot – Julian Barnes
- “Would you be so kind as to give a little thought to the question of what your good would be doing if evil did not exist, and how the earth would look if the shadows were to disappear from it?” The Master and Margarita – Mikhail Bulgakov
- “Out of the frying pan into the fire! What is marriage but prostitution to one man instead of many? No different!” Nights at the Circus – Angela Carter.
- “She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket” Farewell my Lovely – Raymond Chandler
- “They faced each other at opposite ends of an illusion” Dancer from the Dance – Andrew Holleran
- “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” 1984- George Orwell
- “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.” Moving Pictures – Terry Pratchett
- “Fuckin failures in a country of failures. Its nae good blamin it oan the English fir colonising us. Ah don’t hate the English. They’re just wankers. We are colonised by wankers. We can’t even pick a decent, vibrant healthy society to be colonised by. No.. we are ruled by effete arseholes. What does that make us? The lowest of the low, the scum of the earth. The most wretched servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat intae creation. Ah don’t hate the English. They just git oan wis the shite thev got. Ah hate the Scots.” Trainspotting – Irvine Welsh
- “I’m telling you stories. Trust me.” – The Passion – Jeanette Winterson
3 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday – Book quotes”
So many wonderful ones on here, but I’m a total sucker for a Terry Pratchett quote. Such a unique man with a remarkable way of putting things.
I know what you mean. I was definitely tempted to just have 10 Pratchett quotes.
and there’s no soundtrack – to add to number 8!